Green Environmental Plan
Here at Sika Lodge we are committed to the implementation of measures to help protect and sustain the environment for future generations of guests.
We recognise the impact of our operations on the environment and are committed to identifying and minimising any detrimental effect that may occur. By working together we can contribute to a cleaner and safer environment and ensure environmental issues remain a focal point and receive due attention.
In delivering our commitment we will comply with relevant environmental legislation and take a proactive approach to future requirements and obligations.
We have installed two separate solar systems.
Thermal Solar with 100 Evacuated Solar tubes providing 5,000kWh per year. The thermal solar is used solely to heat the hot water system to meet the water demand of approx 750-900 litres per day. To improve the efficiency we have a separate solar hot water cylinder preheating water entering the second cylinder that can be topped up by the boiler if required. We have seen a significant reduction in home heating oil of 700-800liters per year over the past 10 years.
To continue the solar success and reduction in energy we have installed Solar PV to further reduce energy imported. In August 2020 we installed 14 PV solar panels providing 4.4kW and combined with 8.2kWh storage battery and Hybrid inverter the electricity saving expected of 5,000kWh per year. This system aims to provide all our electricity demand through the summer months with the early indications showing we can easily achieve this.
In addition we have installed energy saving light bulbs where practical throughout the house. We are committed to improving our energy usage on a continuous basis and also to reducing our waste generation.
You can play your part:
- Towels left hanging in the bathroom will be left for you to reuse, others will be changed.
- Please try not to run water unnecessarily and inform a member of staff if you notice any leaks.
- Please turn off all lights and electrical equipment when leaving your room.
- Please close the windows if the heat is on in your room. To regulate heating turn the valve in your bathroom, anti-clockwise for on and clockwise for off, and turn the radiator off in your room. Please contact staff if assistance required.
- Place glass and plastic bottles, used batteries, newspapers and magazines in the bedroom dustbin. These will be collected by Housekeeping for recycling. Please use the bathroom dustbin for other waste.
- We welcome any questions or suggestions. Please do not hesitate to contact us at Reception.
Natural Area Focus
We encourage our guests to leave the car behind and explore the area by foot or bike hire.
I stayed at Sika Lodge Killarney in July 2017 and I must say it was excellent. The house is very spacious, the room is great, the breakfast is wonderful and the welcome is the best ever. I recommend this B&B to anyone visiting Killarney.